The church Saint Pierre de Charny, consecrated in 1738, was restored in the 19th century and has a wooden romanesque-style nave. In the rectory is a Madonna and Child dating from the fourteenth century.
The old Town Hall was built in the time of Louis Philippe and is situated in the town centre. It is timber-framed and the brick pilasters originate from the château of Montargis.
Things to see:
The town is alive, busy, with all sorts of shops and celebrations throughout the year (the summer fair, the shopkeepers market in July and the Saint Simon fair in October).
There are many relaxing walks around Chêne-Arnoult on the banks of the river Ouanne and the Cuivre brook. It is worth seeing the hamlet called “le foulon” where fulling of hemp used to take place.
Inside the church, there is a 12th century tombstone in memory of Lord Corquileroy.
The château (which is private property) was built in the late fifteenth century, rebuilt in the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. It has a quadrangular enclosure, round towers and large ditches.
It can be visited from the 1st July to 30th September.
On Monday to Thursday and from 2pm to 6pm.
Guided tours for groups are available all year round on reservation.
The Fabuloserie is certainly something out of this world! A surprising and charming collection of extraordinary pieces of art made from recycled objects.
The church from the twelfth century is dedicated to Saint Sebastian.
Entering the village from the North there is a restored lavoir which is still a place of conviviality where the history of the village lives on. The surrounding countryside is a perfect spot to take a stroll.
The church of Saint-Matin was built in the 16th century and restored in the 19th century. It has a pentagonal apse and a gate which was built in 1546 above which stands a small statue of the Virgin Mary.
The Town Hall with its beautiful carpentry from the fifteenth century is well-worth seeing. The old lavoir, near to the windmill has been restored and is beautiful to see lit-up at night.
The church “Notre Dame de l'assomption” was built in the 15th century and is in beautiful condition after being restored in 19th century. It has a wooden nave, a large rood beam and an apse built in three sections, reminiscent of the Renaissance. The Gothic door dates the fifteenth-century and the octagonal bell tower covered in slate is from 1835.
The ruins of the fortress, destroyed by Robert Knowles, are on private property.
There are many country walks along shady paths.
The church of Saint Jean-Baptiste was restored in the 19th century. It has Gothic-style windows, an apse with a hemispherical semi-dome, a single nave, a Gothic-style door from the 13th century and a baptismal font from 1780.
Relax in the leisure area located near to the “Plan Reuillebeau” (fishing, bowling, tennis, picnic areas and slides for children).
You will be instantly drawn towards the château and its beautiful lakes, two in particular: “les Nouettes” and “Petra”.
The church of Saint Loup was built in the 13th century and was restored in the 19th and 20th centuries. Above the brick gateway is a statue of Saint Denis. The nave is not as old as the choir, therefore it is wider. Admire the eleven statues – nine of which are made of painted wood and two are made of plaster.
The surrounding countryside of this charming village is a perfect place to take a stroll.
The church of Saint Martin has a choir dating from the 13th century and an entrance porch from the 15th century.
The Chapel of “Notre Dame de Pitié” was built towards the end of the Middle Ages and remains a place of pilgrimage to this day. The chapel is a timbered building and has a partly domed apse with a pointed arch painted in blue with golden stars.
The château of Saint Phal was built in the 15th century and is situated at the bottom of the village. It has large round towers and a moat.
The Church of Saint Eutrope has a Gothic-style nave and a wooden statue of the Madonna and Child dating from the 15th century.
There are remains of the ancient Abbey of Echarlis and an entrance gate dating from the 16th century from where a small chapel can be seen.
There is a fitness trail in the village and a children's playground in the park of the town hall.